Prilosec is used for treating heartburn or irritation of the esophagus caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). It may also be used for short-term treatment of ulcers of the stomach or small intestines. It may also be used with certain antibiotics to treat ulcers of the small intestines and to help prevent them from coming back. It may also be used to treat conditions that cause your body to make too much stomach acid (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome). Prilosec is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). It works by decreasing the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
Use Prilosec as directed by your doctor.
- Take Prilosec by mouth on an empty stomach before eating.
- Swallow Prilosec whole. Do not break, crush, chew, or open Prilosec before swallowing.
- If you have trouble swallowing the capsule, add 1 tablespoon of applesauce to an empty bowl. Open the capsule and empty the pellets onto the applesauce. Mix the pellets with the applesauce and swallow the mixture at once, followed by a glass of cool water. The applesauce used should not be hot and should be soft enough to be swallowed with out chewing. Do not chew or crush the pellets. Do not store the mixture for further use.
- You may take antacids while you are using Prilosec if you are directed to do so by your doctor.
- If you also take an imidazole antifungal (eg, ketoconazole), take it at least 2 hours before taking Prilosec.
- If you also take sucralfate, take Prilosec at least 30 minutes before taking sucralfate.
- Continue to take Prilosec even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Prilosec, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Prilosec.
Active Ingredient: Omeprazole.
Store Prilosec at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Prilosec out of the reach of children and away from pets.